Profile Photo

The Wardrobe Department (Doll Clothing Makers)

• Public Group
  • 1 month ago

Members

Introduce Yourself! 🙂

last updated by Blue 8 months, 2 weeks ago
7 voices
7 replies
  • Author
      Aurora/Alex/Al
      Participant

Hello everyone, welcome to the wardrobe department! Why not introduce yourself and get to know your crewmates? Some prompts (just suggestions, not a requirement!) to get you started, if you’re not sure what to say:

• What got you into making doll clothes?
        • Are you a beginner, intermediate, or advanced clothing maker?
        • Do you make human-sized fashion as well, or just for dolls?
        • Who’s your favorite doll?
        • What was your first custom piece? What about your proudest?
        • Is there a particular skill you’re hoping to learn?

As for me, I’m Alex, Al, or Aurora, your wardrobe head! I use she/her pronouns. 🙂 I’m a recently graduated costume design student (@ New York area costume shops and theaters pleeeeease hire me. I need to pay off my loans and on god I’m so good at doing a slip stitch please I will work so hard). As a kid I used to make no-sew wrap dresses for my Barbies; As an adult, I’ve only recently gotten into doll collecting and clothing design, but I’m having such a fun time! My first and favorite achievement is “Duel Queen” Clawdeen, a Yugioh-themed custom outfit for New Scaremester Clawdeen.

Nice to meet you all!!

Kukolka
        Participant

Nice to meet you, Alex. Congratulations on your graduation and good luck with your job search! Ahh, your Duel Queen Clawdeen is cute, I like the multi-layered skirt and what you did with the zippers!

I’m Kukolka, and my pronouns are she/her. As a child, I made some very poorly hand-sewn Barbie clothes without patterns, and “helped” my mom make some better clothes for larger dolls, using patterns, on her sewing machine. I’d classify my skill level as intermediate — but I’ll try Advanced patterns anyway; no fear! — a lot of trial and error, but some items come out decently. I’ve made a few costume pieces for myself and a friend, but most of my 1:1 sewing is just ‘petitifying’ bought clothes that don’t come in Petite.

Oof, my first custom piece, no idea, but the one that sticks in my memory is this pink cotton and mint lining dress for Barbie, with a split overskirt and way too large trim, and how the bodice opened at the back and the overskirt at the front so there wasn’t much holding them together? And a brown calico skirt and fitted jacket with a…gathered overskirt but only in front? LOL. Probably inspired by misunderstanding a full overskirt raised in front seen on a paper doll. x) Unfortunately I think I threw these out. Most of my “old-fashioned” pieces weren’t too stylized, so reusable among characters for stories across several eras. x)

In 2012 I got into customizing dolls, to make characters and outfits from the MMO where I met my husband. The first few attempts then did not come out as intended, but I persevered! In 2016 I accepted a commission, the buyer was happy with the result, but I learned the valuable lesson that I’m not ready to take on any more commissions until I retire!

My best outfit so far is probably the gown for the Fantasy Finish challenge at Figurvore. This page shows the separate pieces including a farthingale.

I’m also rather proud of the *commitment* it took to make six school uniforms, since once I make one of something I’m likely to get bored and move on to something new. I had much trouble getting the blouse right, until I discovered Requiem Art Designs patterns and the cheat code to making tiny collars (fabric glue).

More characters at a different school need uniforms too though, so wish me luck! ^^

Justin
          Participant

Hello doll friends! My name is Justin anf I’ve been sewing doll clothes since 2017; I’d consider myself Intermediate level. I have dolls to thank for my love of sewing because I wouldn’t have even attempted it if it weren’t for doll customizing! My favorite doll is Water Rhapsody Barbie. I’ve had a love for dolls since I was young and finding her in a yard sale as a young kid forever changed the way I looked at dolls. I was always a detail-oriented person so her velvet and pleated organza beaded dress has always been something I absolutely adore.

aves
            Participant

Hi everybody! My name is Aves (he/him).

I’m an intermediate sewist, with most of my experience being in historical costuming!

When I was young, I always tried (and failed) to make my own doll clothes out of scraps of fabric. I’ve been collecting dolls for years, but I only recently started making doll clothes seriously! Barbie is of course a favorite, but I have a soft spot for American Girl and Disney dolls. Admittedly, 18 inch dolls are a lot easier to sew for than your standard fashion doll 😛

I don’t have a large portfolio to show off yet, but I will be documenting my favorites as I finish pieces. My biggest goal for this year is to recreate some iconic fashion looks and film wardrobes <3

Jobee
              Participant

Hello, I’m Jobee, she her pronouns, and I’ve been making doll clothes since I was very small, but they weren’t very good when I was really small, I’ve gotten better, as you can imagine.  I started making doll clothes with my mother’s fabric scraps because she is a seamstress and did a lot of sewing when I was growing up.  I’d say I’m an intermediate doll clothing maker.  I can only sew by hand, but I draft my own patterns for basic clothes.  Since I can’t use a sewing machine, I don’t make human sized clothes, but I tried with some cosplay back in high school.  I don’t have a favorite doll.  I love all my dolls a lot.  I have no idea what my first custom piece, but my most recent pieces are a summer outfit for g3 Clawdeen.

she/her, bi/pan, middle aged cat and doll enthusiast.

anivera
                Participant

Hello! I’m Ani, She/they pronouns, and I’d say I’m definitely a beginner when it comes to sewing. I got into sewing to make miniature bags, but I find joy in making stuff so why not try tiny clothes! I really want to get better at drafting patterns, it’s something I struggle with which sucks because having good patterns is important. In order to bond with my dolls I basically turn them into OCs, so currently I’m working on making a swimsuit for one of them 🙂 I can’t wait to share the things I make and see what you all make too!!

Blue
                  Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hey everyone, my names Blue,  (he/him but them/they is okay too if you don’t know me) I’m 19, I would say I’m a beginner um I’ve been on and off sewing for years but my skill level is that of a beginner. I’m mainly an animator +and writer but I do want to improve my sewing ability . My current project is to attempt to make a simple black tank top for my gen 3 frankie custom. After that I might attempt to make some doll sized bedding. If anyone has any tips id appreciate it so much 💖 good luck with your project ✨ sorry for any mis spellings me phone is very old and very broken</p>

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scroll to Top